Cerebral Palsy Treatment and Disability Benefits in Kansas

When a Kansas family receives a diagnosis that a child has been born with cerebral palsy, this news usually precedes several important questions. Parents may wonder "Where do I find cerebral palsy treatment for my child?" and "How do we pay for cerebral palsy treatment?" These are important questions, and this page exists to help Kansas families locate the treatment services they need and find financial assistance to pay for their treatment.

What is Cerebral Palsy?

Cerebral palsy is a very complex neurological condition resulting from brain damage. A child could develop cerebral palsy from a prenatal infection, toxic exposure in the womb, oxygen deprivation during delivery, or a traumatic brain injury after birth from a fall, abuse, or motor vehicle accident. Children with cerebral palsy often experience a variety of physical, intellectual, and developmental delays due to the condition. Co-occurring conditions are also common; children with cerebral palsy often also contend with seizure disorders, autism, vision and hearing problems, and limited ability to walk.

Cerebral palsy cannot improve with time; brain damage is permanent, so the best treatments for a child with cerebral palsy focus on overcoming the physical, intellectual, and social delays the condition often causes. A child with cerebral palsy should receive interdisciplinary treatment covering his or her cerebral palsy symptoms and co-occurring conditions.

Finding Cerebral Palsy Treatment in Kansas

A proper continuum of care for a child with cerebral palsy should involve coordination between the child's primary care provider and other treatment providers. Fortunately, there are many treatment services available for Kansas families.

Comprehensive Movement Disorders and Spasticity Clinic at Children's Mercy Kansas City
2401 Gillham Road
Kansas City, MO 64108
(816) 234-3490

Kansas families have access to one of the very few clinics in the country that offers comprehensive, multidisciplinary treatment for children with various developmental disabilities, movement disorders, and spasticity disorders. This clinic takes a unique approach to treatment; all the different specialists who treat a child with cerebral palsy meet for each 60 to 90-minute session. This allows close collaboration in real-time that addresses each child's condition with a multifaceted approach.

United Cerebral Palsy of Kansas
5111 E. 21st Street
P.O. Box 8217
Wichita, KS 67208
(316) 652-1538

United Cerebral Palsy is a nationwide network of treatment centers and support providers, and the Kansas branch carries on the United Cerebral Palsy mission to increase individual independence, revolutionize cerebral palsy treatment, and help patients realize their full potential. They offer assistive therapies, occupational opportunities, educational services, and coordinate with 64 different affiliated programs and service providers.

Minds Matter, LLC.
7819 Conser Place
Overland Park, KS 66204
(913) 789-9900

Kansas families can visit this treatment center for behavioral, speech, physical, and occupational therapies. They also offer transitional housing services to help adults with disabilities find independent housing or housing assistance. They coordinate with primary care providers to ensure the most appropriate individual care plans for every patient.

These are just a few of the treatment centers in Kansas equipped to help children with cerebral palsy. However, some families may wonder about their ability to pay for these services. Fortunately, the Social Security Administration offers disability benefits to adults with qualifying medical conditions and the parents of children with qualifying conditions.

Disability Benefits for Cerebral Palsy

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimate the total cost for caring for a child with cerebral palsy can approach $1 million during the course of his or her lifetime. This includes the cost of necessary medical treatment, ongoing care, and lost income from parents leaving work to provide in-home care. Additionally, many children born with cerebral palsy will be unable to work in the future, and this estimate includes their projected lost earning potential as well.

The Social Security Administration offers two main types of disability benefits: Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Adults living with cerebral palsy qualify for SSDI if they have ten years of work history with payments into Social Security and the necessary work credits. Some adults under the age of 22 who develop disabilities from cerebral palsy may also qualify for SSDI. SSI exists for lower-income families and they must meet the Social Security Administration's income requirements to qualify.

Only children who suffer from severe motor dysfunction from cerebral palsy will qualify for SSI, and the medical requirements for eligibility for SSDI and SSI are virtually identical. Applicants should expect to gather substantial documentation and records to accompany their applications, and a cerebral palsy benefits attorney can be a great help in this regard.

Applying for Social Security Benefits in Kansas

The Social Security Administration provides an online starter guide for families interested in applying for childhood disability benefits. This guide contains some of the paperwork necessary for an application, and Kansas families may decide to visit a local Social Security office to start the application process in person. There are several U.S. Social Security Administration offices throughout Kansas.

  • Kansas City, KS
  • Lenexa
  • Manhattan
  • Lawrence
  • Wichita
  • Topeka
  • Independence

These are just a few locations; you can also check online by your zip code to find the office closest to you. It is also worth considering hiring a cerebral palsy benefits attorney to help you navigate the complicated benefits application process, finding the documentation you need to accompany your application, and determining other legal options for compensation like a medical malpractice lawsuit if negligent medical treatment caused your child to develop cerebral palsy.